/ a>Chasing Skirt
Know the cut — skirt steak comes from the underside (or belly) of the cow. It comAFTER PARTY MENUes in two parts: the inside, which attaches to the rib cage, and the outside, which is the diaphragm muscle. If you have the option, ask for the inside cut — it’s more tender. Skirt steak, like all steak, provides zinc, a mineral vital to growth and a healthy immune system, plus it’s a great source of protein, iron and vitamin B-12.
Satay style marinade — 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup sake, 1/2 cup Mirin, 3 tb. sugar, 3 slices fresh ginger, 3 cloves chopped garlic, 3 scallions coarsely chopped. Simmer in sauce pan until syrupy (about 3/4 cup). Strain and pour over meat. Let sit at least 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator. Grill to your desired doneness. Enjoy.
It’s nearly Labor Day and we are near the end of summer……. what to do with all those juicy tomatoes in the yard?
- Slice them thickly, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Serve as a side salad or layer between slices of crusty bread for a tomato sandwich
- Simmer up some fresh tomato soup. Sweat diced onion, celery and fennel in a little oil. Add cut-up tomatoes and check, beef or vegetable broth, cover and simmer until tender. Pass the soup through a food mill (or blend and strain), and then reheat. Enrich with a bit of butter and still in minced fresh chives, dill, or fennel leaf.
- Make a variation on a BLT: bacon, arugula, tomato and avocado. To kick it up a notch, spread on softened blue cheese or fresh goat cheese.
- For a beautiful salad platter, slice up different-colored tomatoes. Drizzle with your favorite vinaigrette, sea salt and pepper. For a party, alternate the tomatoes with slices of fresh mozzarella and drizzle with pesto, set out sliced toasted bread and let guests build their own appetizers.
- And if you have a real abundance, you can oven dry your tomatoes by using this easy method: cut tomatoes in half, place in a bowl, toss with salt, pepper, fresh thyme or parsley, extra virgin olive oil and granulated garlic (or fresh if you prefer). Make sure to season well. Place on sprayed or parchment covered baking sheet cut side up. Bake at 275 degrees until about 3/4 dried out or until skin peels off. Let cool and remove skin. Use for sauces, soup, as a spread on bread, in pasta dishes, toss in salads, put on grilled cheese sandwiches. Delish!
June 3, 2016
Chefs A La Carte Catering is a premier, full-service Chef Driven company redefining how catering is done. Here at Chefs, we are excited to bring you the latest information from the culinary scene — be it food trends, tips and tricks of the trade, chic recipes that you can do at home, and our Q&A Tuesday where you can “ask the Chefs” your questions which will be answered the following Tuesday…..and much, much more. Please come along with us and join in the fun.